Academics & Careers Success Weekend 2017
Date: To Be Advised: Sept / Oct 2017
Location: To Be Advised
Costs: To Be Advised
The Need: Why?
- Students need final motivational push as they approach their final, national examinations :-)
- What are the best strategies in seeking sustainable Academic & Career Success?
- Having good motives alone by Parents & Teachers is not enough to deliver world class success
- Schools appointed teachers in charge of Careers, Guidance & Counseling need capacity building
- Lack of systematic & strategic information for building knowledge and skills for Academic & Career Excellence
- Exceptionally bright students having to “fend for themselves” seeking knowledge and opportunity for excellence in Academics & Career Success
- Available mentorship not adequately leveraged for best academic, career & lifeskills success
- Few networks to encourage a culture of excelence; solution building & entrepreneurship Success; Thinking Global while acting Local
Day 1: School Students
- Academic Success Strategies
- Critical Thinking & Problem solving in examinations
- Physiology & Psychology of examination testing
- Understanding self learning; basic psychometrics
- Aspirations & Confidence building
Day 2: Parents & Teachers
- Strategic Parenting & Teaching for
- Academic & Career Excellence
- Case studies; Harvard, MIT, ALA,
- Princeton & Duke Universities
- Teachers: Guidelines & Workshop:
- Writing student recommendations for admission & scholarships
- Strategic Management of extra & co-curricular activities, teambuilding
- Educationalist success strategies
Funké is an MIT Sloan Fellow, and Harvard Mason Fellow; a Fellow of The Nigerian Institute of Marketing, and The Institute of Brand Management.
She co-founded the MIT Africa Investment Forum which convenes on campus bi-annually. She is co-founder of The Pro-NICHE Network, a not-for-profit organization providing free concept incubation, niche-networking and consulting services for African start-ups.
Nigerian-by-Birth, Kenyan-by-Marriage: Funké Michaels has over 21 years ‘hands-on’ sales, marketing and advertising experience - with multi-million budget brands like Coca-Cola, Peugeot, Rothmans, Heineken, Subaru and Samsung. Working globally across Sub-Saharan Africa, North-Africa/Middle East, Europe and the UK, Latin-America and the Caribbean as a Creative-Communications practitioner.
Funke speaks 7 languages and works well across English and French-speaking communities. She has won several awards for her work in Marketing Communications, especially with new or renewed product introductions. She has
also been a cross-functional resource for African, Caribbean and North American markets.
Funke teaches a postgraduate course in International Brand and Sales Excellence - IBX (360-Degree Marketing) at The Orange Academy, Lagos; and is on the project board of The Singing Torah in Boston, an MIT-affiliated tech start-up for the
preservation and teaching of Hebrew Oral Culture. She is a member of The MIT Think Tank, and a USAID ‘Young African Leaders Initiative’ (YALI) Partner. Funké is also an author, adjunct lecturer, public speaker and culture coach.
Funke has worked in various consulting capacities for governments and multi-nationals. She is committed to fostering development and industry through collaborations between academia, entrepreneurs, and leaders of the corporate, political and humanitarian frontiers.
Our Solutions & Expected Outcomes
- Capacity building to education stakeholders; teachers, school administrators, parents and students on a strategic approach for Academic & Career Success
- Parents & teachers better appreciate the parenting processes of preparing children for academic & career success
- Teachers better equipped to lead bright students in achieving academic and career goals success
- Tools to strategically manage extra & co-curricular activities for Life & Soft Skills success
- Understanding how manage the “last mile connectivity” in writing student recommendations for admission & scholarships to top, world class universities
- Developing peer support networks of empowered, motivated parents & teachers supporting students success based on individual ability, gifting, passion and calling
- Linkages & Networks to top, world class institutions; Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, Princeton, Duke, African Leadership University, Carnegie Mellon, African Leadership Academy
- Linkages & Networks to top, world class organisations; Wall Street, Goldman Sachs,
- Linkages & networks to Professional Industry for academic & career success.
- We are especially grateful to industry professionals that have supported our youth, which include but are not limited to the following; ABTEI, Africa Business Clubs at HBS, Africa 2.0, Africa's Talking Ltd., Botswana Accountacy College (BAC), Bidco Africa Ltd., Boma Hotels, Cellulant Kenya, Chibanda Makgalemele & Co (Botswana), Davis & Shirtliff, ILRI, David Gatende, Dr. Vimal Shah, Harvard Business School (HBS), Hon Martha Karua, Kenya Power, KenGen, K24, Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (KBC), KTN, Kennedy Schools, Narc Kenya, National Gender & Equality Commission, Nation Media Group, Makini Schools, Management, Professor Jesse Mugambi, Retirement Benefits Authority (RBA), University of Africa (MUA), Ministry of Works Club, Standard Media Group, PON at Harvard Law School, United Nations at Nairobi (UNoN), University of Massachusetts - Boston, University of Nairobi (UoN), YEHU Microfinance,
AKAD Historic Student Successes:
Through the unique AKAD Mentorship training, aspirations and motivation of our mentees have resulted in seeking and obtaining admissions and scholarships to the following top, world class institutions (among others);
Harvard University, USA (2011, 2016), University of Pennsylvania, USA (2015), Duke University, USA (2017), African Leadership Academy, South Africa (2011, 2013, 2015, 2017), Jacobs University Bremen (2015), University College London, UK (2015), Washington University in St. Louis, USA (2015), African Leadership University, Mauritius & Rwanda (2015, 2017), Wageningen University and Research Centre, Netherlands (2011) University of California, Davis, USA (2014), Oklahoma State University (2014), University of Bath, UK (2014), Carnegie Mellon University (2011) – among many others!